CHSO March 2014 : Page 132
S & T T C Y H I L E T E Y the creatives behind the city’s most glamorous residences and events don’t just project a trendsetting, chic lifestyle through their work: they live it! by katie schroeder | portraits by katrina wittkamp
Fashion & Home Design Style & The City
THE CREATIVES BEHIND THE CITY'S MOST GLAMOROUS RESIDENCES AND EVENTS DON'T JUST PROJECT A TRENDSETTING, CHIC LIFESTYLE THROUGH THEIR wORK: THEY LIVE IT!
When Brynn Olson was growing up in Birmingham Ala., she didn't see herself pursuing a career in design. "I grew up in a place where everyone and their cousin was a decorator, not a designer—big difference!" She says. But after studying art history and sociology, followed by some time abroad, she settled in Chicago, where she had a "light-bulb moment" redecorating a vintage apartment. "My motto has always been: How you shape your space will shape your day," says the 30-year-old interior designer, who spent more than four years with Nate Berkus Associates. "The power of a newly designed space on the psyche is the most indescribable thing. I'm honored every time a new client asks me to be part of their life in such a personal way." This spring, Olson celebrates the second anniversary of her entrepreneurial venture, Brynn Olson Design Group (brynnolson.Com). "My personal style is almost identical to how I design spaces—a timeless foundation in structure that's layered with textures, a splash of color, something antique or vintage and at least one striking wow-factor," she says. Not surprisingly, Olson spends weekends trolling estate sales or Craigslist hunting for vintage finds. "Designers have a natural proclivity for owning constantly evolving, never-complete homes."
1. Miracle Austrian crystal chandelier, price upon request, by Bakalowits & Sohne at 1stdibs.com
2. Midcentury Capri tableware set, $2,200, by Michael Lax for Hyalyn at Modern Times, 312.243.5706
3. Royal Oak Chronograph, $54,900, by Audemars Piguet, audemarspiguet.com
4. 1960 Isis Wings Egyptian-style layered gold-tone collar parure set, $325 (bracelet not shown), at 1stdibs.com
5. "Cycle X 9," 2013, ink-on-paper monoprint (43 by 40 inches), price upon request, at jillmoser.net
6. Genuine raccoon fur coat, $80, at thecats meowvintage.com
Bobby Krueger & Peter Koch
To call Mavrek Development Principals Bobby Krueger and Peter Koch general contractors would be selling them short. The Cleveland natives spent several years working in the Chicago market as contractors before launching their business, which combines renovations for residential and commercial clients with a development component they're launching this year. On the renovation side, Mavrek (mavrekdevelopment. Com) recently completed a build-out, converting a 9,000-square-foot auto body shop into a modern home for interior designer Tracy Hickman. The development arm also is booming. "We're currently building spec homes, and over the next 18 months we are building eight new single-family homes and taking them to market ourselves," says 35-year-old Krueger. "We see so many things that you wouldn't normally see just on the development side, and we're able to take all of those elements and apply them to our homes, which gives us an advantage on the market." Working in desirable neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview means that picking a premium lot with a few extra square feet is key. "We're dealing with a rectangle box [for lots] in the city of Chicago, and there's only so much you can do, unlike the suburbs," says Koch,
32. "We always try to make each home as different as possible by implementing the lifestyle trends people are expecting in a $2 to $3 million home.
We're pushing the envelope on creativity to take a rectangle and make it feel like much more."
Krueger & Koch’s Picks
1. The American Club Resort in Kohler, Wis., rooms from $180, americanclubresort.com
2. Mies van der Rohe: A Critical Biography, New and Revised Edition, $45, at Barnes & Noble, 312. 280.8155
3. Carrera Calibre 17 Automatic Chronograph, $5,700, by Tag Heuer at Geneva Seal, 312. 944.3100
4. Eames Aluminum Lounge chair, $2,359, at Design Within Reach, 312. 280.4677
5. Blue leather penny loafers, $895, at Salvatore Ferragamo, 312. 397.0464
6. Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, $146,000, at Loeber Motors, Lincolnwood,855. 235.0142
Jessica Griffin truly stops and smells the roses. The event designer for HMR Designs began her career in the floral business—her passion for which was first cultivated in high school while working at a flower shop in Dearborn, Mich. "I love to make parties look pretty, even the simplest of gatherings," says the 33-year-old. "There's just something about a well-set table that makes me happy." After studying interior design, she realized the event industry was a perfect marriage of her love of blooms and beautiful spaces, and, this year, she's spearheading a green initiative for HMR (hmrdesigns.Com) that will decrease its environmental footprint through recycling and composting. "My personal style is simple and classic," says Griffin. "I like texture and patterns, and am not afraid of color." She believes in quality over quantity when it comes to accessories, such as wearing a simple pair of diamond studs every day. Likewise, she's a proponent of editing when it comes to designing events, and she sets out to complement a venue's inherent style, not compete with it. "Chicago is a city rich in history, and I love that I'm able to design for so many spaces that have such architectural integrity," she says. "My goal is to feel like the elements we bring in could permanently exist in the space."
1. Bathroom candle in Marine, $60, by Lafco at Elements Chicago, 312. 642.6574
2. Wool-blend trench coat, $178, by Vince Camuto at Nordstrom,312. 464.1515
3. Diamond stud earrings in platinum, from $1,125, at Tiffany & Co., 312.944.7500
4. "Hedgerow," oil on panel (24 by 12 inches), price upon request, at maryflack.com
5. Limited-Edition Home Collection Orange Flower Scent Surround diffuser, $85, by Michael Angrove for Jo Malone London at Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus stores available in April)
6. Yardley flat in Camellia Pink, $265, at Tory Burch,312. 280.0010